Pure Skin Aesthetic & Laser Center
Cosmetic Laser Centers & Medical Spa located in Bismarck, ND
Wrinkles, sun damage, and age spots often make women and men look older than their true age. Shelly Botsford, NP and the medical aestheticians at Pure Skin Aesthetic & Laser Center in Bismarck, North Dakota, are experts at providing chemical peels for adults who want their outward appearance to match how they feel on the inside. Chemical peels can help reduce fine lines, minimize age spots, and improve the overall appearance of facial skin. Call to schedule an appointment or to learn more about chemical peels.
What is a Chemical Peel?
Chemical peels use a solution to improve texture, tone, and appearance of your skin by removing the outer layers that have been damaged by sun exposure, acne, and aging. Chemical peels are most often requested to improve facial skin, but they can also revitalize your neck and hands. The type of chemicals and techniques involved produce different levels of noticeable results following a chemical peel treatment.
How Effective are Chemical Peels?
Chemical peels can improve the appearance of:
- Acne and acne scarring
- Wrinkles and fine lines under your eyes and around your mouth
- Areas of darker skin pigmentation
- Sun damage
- Age spots and freckles
- Skin texture
Chemical peels are surface-level treatments, so they don’t treat deeper lines and severe wrinkles or tighten loose, sagging skin.
What are the Different Types of Chemical Peels?
There are several types of chemical peels, so your experience may depend on the type of peel you receive.
- Light Chemical Peels: A light chemical peel is good for uneven pigmentation, dry skin, and fine lines. It uses a light exfoliation that removes the outer layer of your skin, resulting in a healthy glow. Light chemical peels often use alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids like glycolic acid, lactic acid, and salicylic acid. These chemicals are milder than those used in deep chemical peels, but you may still experience some redness, stinging, or flaking after the procedure. These side effects are temporary and usually well-tolerated.
- Medium Chemical Peels: This type of peel can improve the appearance of acne scars, deeper wrinkles, and uneven skin tone. Medium peels use chemicals including glycolic acid and trichloroacetic acid to remove the outer layer of your skin as well as part of the middle layer. It goes deeper than a light peel for more dramatic results. You may feel burning, tingling, or stinging with a medium peel, and your treated skin peels in the first 48 hours after treatment and may last up to a week.
- Deep Chemical Peels: Deep chemical peels use phenol, the strongest chemical for deepest penetration of skin layers. You may require a local anesthetic to relieve discomfort during a deep chemical peel. Deep chemical peels improve deeper wrinkles, scars, blotchy skin, and precancerous growths, and are not suited for everyone. Recovery time can take several weeks, and produce dramatic, long-lasting results.
For most men and women wishing to improve the tone and texture of their skin, light to medium chemical peels are a good choice. Shelly and the medical aestheticians at Pure Skin Aesthetic & Laser Center advise you on the best treatment options to achieve your goals. Call or schedule a consultation online to learn more.